Parents

Parents
Kristen & Benton Brown

An Unexpected Start

An Unexpected Start
Parker Trimble Brown was born April 9, 2010.

I'm One Year Old

I'm One Year Old
Parker will be 14 months old on June 9th.

Friday, May 7, 2010

On "Vacation" Since April 1st

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to still go by weeks and say that Parker is four months old, or wait until Sunday to say that's he's one month old, but in any case, the time has flown by. Its hard to believe that my last day of work was April 1st. Benton has asked me several times if I miss working, and the answer is that is hard to miss something when you're totally consumed doing something else all day and all night. I did have a dream about trying to go back to work this spring and even woke up thinking maybe I could work some in June after the kids are out of school. THEN I really woke up and thought what the hell was I thinking???

I thought life as an assistant principal went by quickly. I was up at 6am everyday, at work by 7:30am, and usually left work sometime between 5:30 and 6pm everyday. A couple of nights each week we'd stay late for a meeting and usually there was a weekend event once each month. I loved my job, but it was a lot of hours. Benton travels two or three nights most weeks, so at least I wasn't neglecting him at home. We knew that once Parker came, it would be impossible for Benton to continue to travel and for me to work the hours I had been.

It was a really hard decision to leave my school as assistant principal. I never planned to be a stay at home mom and hadn't really thought I'd want to be one. I have all of these degrees and my career is in a great place considering I'm not even 30 yet (coming really soon though!). There are some who think staying home is the only way to go, and others who say they can't imagine being home all the time. I'm still not sure I fall completely into one category or the other.

For now, I have the best of both worlds. Starting in August I'll be working 10 - 19 hours each week writing science projects for high school teachers in my district. I can set my own hours and days each week, I don't have to grade papers, and I won't report to a particular campus. In short, its a dream job for a new mom! I have several people interested in looking after Parker while I work, but its something I don't want to think about for now. Technically, I'm on maternity leave until the end of June so I want to enjoy it while it lasts.

My days now fly by. I'm up around 7am for Parker's first feeding, I go to bed after 11pm, and then I get up sometime around 3am for his middle of the night feeding. I don't hardly have time to shower each day, much less run an errand, take a nap, or go for a walk. I'm not really sure where the time goes, but the days go by very quickly and I'm loving every minute of it. For now its a blessing to be home with my precious munchkin!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, how I LOVE reading your blog and being able to keep up w/your new life as a mommy! Kiss Parker for me and enjoy your FIRST Mother's Day! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete