Parents

Parents
Kristen & Benton Brown

An Unexpected Start

An Unexpected Start
Parker Trimble Brown was born April 9, 2010.

I'm One Year Old

I'm One Year Old
Parker will be 14 months old on June 9th.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Attack of the Lactoids

We just left the hospital - Parker had another panting episode last night and got oxygen for a few minutes. This resets the clock so we're looking at another 24 hours. On the brightside, he is well enough to be circumsized today and he now weighs more than his birthweight - he's 7lbs 13oz.

We have to be positive and look at the humor in our situation (I am the eternal optimist). I thought I would share the story of the Lactoids at the hosptial. Benton and I crack each other up talking about them and it literally makes me laugh so hard I almost bust my stitches.

Lactoids are the crazy Lactation Consultants at the hosptial that wear matching pink polos with khahi slacks. They first found me the day Parker was born and delivered a breast pump and pamplets to my room while I was still in an epidural-induced fog. Since then, they have been stalking me to make sure that I am pumping often enough, massaging my milk ducts, and helping my baby to feed "naturally". The La Leche League would be proud of their determination to get me breastfeeding as soon as possible - despite the fact that my baby is in NICU and it stresses him out to try and feed directly from my breast. I'll spare you the details of them demonstrating proper breastfeeding technique and grabbing all over me with five other people in the NICU room. Let's just say it's a good thing I'm not an overly modest person. For now, we have Parker back on bottled breastmilk and I'm pumping just fine, but please don't tell the Lactoids that we're waiting to breastfeed until we're in the comfort of our own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment