Parents

Parents
Kristen & Benton Brown

An Unexpected Start

An Unexpected Start
Parker Trimble Brown was born April 9, 2010.

I'm One Year Old

I'm One Year Old
Parker will be 14 months old on June 9th.

Monday, April 12, 2010

An Expected Start...

I'll try to shorten the story as much as possible for simplicity sakes =). After spending the night at the hospital Thursday night, we had a couple of episodes when Parker's heart rate dropped when I was laying down flat on my back. They gave me oxygen in an effort to make sure he was getting enough and would make me change positions when they saw a drop in his heartbeat. It always came right back up, but it made the doctor nervous to give me anything that might strengthen contractions and send Parker into more stress. After getting my epidural, the doctor decided at 9:45am that the safest thing to do was a C-section. I was wheeled down the hall, Parker was delivered safe and healthy, and I was in a recovery room by 10:30am.

It seemed like an eternity until they brought Parker to our room for a visit at 3pm after running all the regular tests, shots, weights, etc. for a C-section baby. He got a bath and had his full head of brown hair combed too! We spent almost 2 hours with him trying to breastfeed and taking pictures with all of the family. I was exhausted after not sleeping for 30 something hours, so we sent him down to the nursery so Parker and I both could rest. Around 5:30 we learned that Parker had an "episode" in the nursery causing him to breathe really rapidly and then slow down too quickly. The decision was made to move him to NICU to be on the safe side. We have learned that he is perfectly healthy and free from any infections, but that this is typical of baby boys born via C-section. He likely has some fluid in his lungs that his body needs to absorb so he can breathe at a regular pace all of the time. He has received IV anitbiotics just in case anything develops, but otherwise he's breathing room air and taking formula well.

I was able to see him in NICU this afternoon and give him a bottle and I'll go back tonight and try to give him a bottle of breastmilk. He looks so pitiful with his IV and nasal tubes, plus he thinks he's a boxer and he keeps whacking himself in the face. I'm taking mittens down there tonight at 8:30 so hopefully his little face can heal. All in all, its not the first few days we had planned, but everyone is healthy and safe. We're excited to be parents and can't wait to get him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment